Written by Taylor Mogavero, Program Coordinator
Citrus trees grow so well in the Bay Area and they are a great addition to any yard or garden. A mature citrus tree can produce up to 200 lbs of fruit every year! Citrus is the key ingredient to make this delicious sauce. To go with this citrus sauce is some crispy tofu, which is not only delicious but also packed with nutrients and protein. This Citrus Tofu recipe is a quick, inexpensive, and delicious way to eat any citrus you may have. This recipe is super versatile and can be used with oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits, or any other citrus!
1 tsp citrus zest
1/2 cup fresh citrus juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/4 cup sugar or maple syrup
1/2 tsp chili flakes (optional)
For Starch Slurry:
1 tablespoons starch
1/3 cup water
1 block of extra firm tofu
2 tbsp starch
1 tbsp soy sauce
Oil (depending on cooking method)
Rice or noodles
Chopped green onion
- Press tofu gently with a dish towel to remove excess liquid. Cut or rip into 1 inch pieces. Coat tofu pieces with soy sauce and starch.
- Air-fry, bake, or pan-fry the tofu.
- Air-fry: Preheat air-fryer to 400°F. Cook for 15 minutes or until crispy, flipping the tofu halfway through.
- Bake: Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat tofu with 1 tbsp of oil. Bake for 30 minutes or until crispy, flipping the tofu halfway through.
- Pan-fry: In a large pan, add 2-4 tbsp of oil on medium-high heat. Add tofu. Fry on one side for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and cook on the other side until golden brown.
- To make the sauce, combine all the sauce ingredients in a large pan. Heat on low-medium heat. In a separate bowl, make the starch slurry by mixing together the starch and water. Once the sauce is heated, add the starch slurry. Mix well until it starts to thicken then remove from heat.
- Add sauce to cooked tofu. Serve with rice, noodles, and/or stir-fry vegetables. Top with sesame seeds, chopped green onions, or whatever you like!
Orange Sauce – Build Your Bite
Lemon Sauce – All Day Vegan Cookbook
Lime Sauce – Thank You Berry Much
Photo – The View From Great Island
At what age do lemon trees start fruiting? – Lemon Tree Guide